I have been surprised how emotional I have been following the election. I cried several times watching the election night coverage, not for the political victory, but for the what the night meant for us as a nation- A nation tainted with history of slavery and discrimination. I was holding Becca when it hit me that she will never know an America before there was an African American President.
Fourty five years ago, Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his "I Have a Dream" speech. He said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I think that day has come (at least for the most part). Obama was elected because people looked past the color of his skin and believed in his vision for our country. I know there is still racism in America, but I believe it truly is a new era in America. It is an era where the American Dream is alive and available to ALL Americans regardless of race, gender and social status.
Check out Will.I.Am's new song and video called, "Its A New Day." Its the follow up video to his "Yes We Can" video. I think it represents the significance of Tuesday's election. It is "A New Day" for America.
3 days ago



2 comments:
Cara and I are pretty excited about the new president elect and we both got a bit teared up when he came to the podium with his family to give his nomination acceptance speech in front of the roaring crowd.
This truly is a historic and monumental occasion for all Americans and I am so excited to see what Obama's presidency will bring!
You inspired me to write a blog about this same topic. It really is incredible. And aside from racial issues, I'm just really excited about Obama's entire character!
Post a Comment