Tuesday, October 21, 2008

You can steal our pumpkins, but you can't steal our Fall Spirit!

This morning when I told Corbin that someone had stolen our pumpkins, Corbin responded, "They didn't even ask us. If they asked, maybe I would have shared one of my pumpkins. Maybe." His maybe was not convincing (I could see his mind working and his maybe really meant he wouldn't share), but still a nice sentiment. And, he is right, you should aways ask before taking something belonging to someone else.

Thank you to Matt for reminding us of the story The Grinch that Stole Christmas. We decided we would not let the Halloween Grinch damper our Fall Spirits, so this morning we made cardboard pumpkins to replace the stolen ones. Trent really wanted his pumpkin to have blue eyes, ears, nose, mouth and arms... so that is what we did. Corbin wanted to really carve his pumpkin- so for the first time ever, I used an Exact-o-Knife and carved a cardboard pumpkin. Corbin decided to make a SCARY faced pumpkin to scare off thieves. He said, "If someone tries to steal this pumpkin, his face will scare him away.



Then this afternoon, the boys went to Grandma and Papa's house to pick apples. When the boys told Grandma and Papa that their pumpkin had been stolen, Grandma told them they could each pick a new pumpkin from their garden and carve it. Grandma helped Corbin carve his- look at the mean scowl! and Papa helped Trent (which really means, Papa carved and Trent played with Mr. Potato Head). Trent picked out a little pumpkin for Becca, but decided she didn't need it to be carved.


Today turned out to be a wondeful day full of Fall Spirit and Fun! Thank you theives, you inspired us to have a very festive day!

2 comments:

Cara Hoag said...

I love everything about this post. I can totally picture Corbin thinking about sharing his pumpkin and then saying a tenative "maybe."

So now what's the plan with the newly carved pumpkins? Will they bravely sit on the front porch?

Hoag said...

YAY!! That does sound like a wonderfully festive fall day!!