Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tidbits

After taking a blogging hiatus for over a month, I am back with a lengthy update. So to get started, here are some random tidbits from our life lately, starting with a brief update on our Christmas.

We had a truly magical and wonderful holiday season. The kids were full of excitement and joy. It was a Christmas to remember and cherish forever. Becca is still singing Jingle Bells and Go Tell it on the Mountain on a daily basis. Our holiday highlights were Matt & Cara visiting:
Ringing the bells for the Salvation Army (Corbin made me so proud that morning as we were loading up the van to leave, he ran back inside. When he came back, I asked him what he forgot, he said his wallet so he could put some money in the bucket)
Making Candy and Goodies with women of Mark's family: Emma and Becca enjoyed licking the bowl of fudge! Our very own elves handing out the presents:
And most importantly spending Christmas with these three crazy kids. They were overflowing with childlike Christmas wonder that I know will only last for a handful of years. It was magical. I mourned the holidays ending.
*Warning! This story might make you feel old* The other day Corbin came home from school and told me his school was SO OLD. He continued to say, it was SO OLD it was made in the 1900s. OUCH, I told him I was made in the 1900s too, and I am not that old. He responded saying the 1900s were a long time ago, everything from the 1900s is old.
-Maybe I should have responded by telling him he was born in 2002 which was only a couple years from the 1900s, although I am pretty sure it wouldn't have mattered to him.
My dear friend got me a subscription to Everyday Food for my birthday and we have enjoyed trying some new recipes. So far this one has been the biggest hit: Spanish-Meatloaf. In general, we are not meatloaf fans, so when I suggested this recipe to Mark he discouraged it. I gave it a shot anyways and we LOVED it. I have made it twice now (I couldn't find Manchego cheese the first time and use a soft goat cheese instead and it turned out great- I am pretty sure any cheese would work well). Give it a try!

Since I am in the recomendation mood- here is another one. If you are looking for a nice, unique restaurant in the Portland Area try the Brazil Grill. We went with some friends last weekend for Mark's birthday and had a great evening. This is a place for meatlovers- with unlimited servings of 11 different meats ranging from bacon wrapped Chicken, to shrimp, lto lamb, and our favorite steak... There was something for every meatlover! The servers come around with the meat and shave off small portions all evening, as much as you like. My favorite part of the meal was the cinnamon crusted grilled pineapple! YUM! And the highlight- the atmosphere was quiet and very relaxed. There was no rushing, our waitress encouraged us to stay & take our time. We were there for 2 1/2 hours, and our waitress said the table next to us had been there over 3 hours. It was wonderful to linger, enjoy our meal and eat our fill of delicious meats and pineapple. Highly Recommend!


And since I brought it up, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK!

January 12, Corbin had surgery to remove one of his ear tubes he had place last year. It was causing problems and his body was trying to overtake the tube, which caused tissue growth, constant drainage from his ear and inhibited his hearing. The tube in his other ear had already fallen out on its own and wasn't an issue. I am glad to report the surgery was a success. Corbin only missed one day of school. Our doctor believes the tubes have done their job, and released the fluid that was trapped behind the ear drum. Corbin graduated out of speech therapy since having the tubes placed a year ago and we believe his hearing should test normal now that both tubes are out.

As we kick off 2011, I am very excited to have gotten rid of one of my daily household chores: empting the dishwasher. As of the beginning of the year, Corbin has taken over this job. It has been a blessing. Everyday after school, he empties the dishwasher before I start dinner. I think it is time we start giving this boy an allowance. He is proving to be quite the helper around the house. And I am quite grateful.
Right before Christmas, Becca finally figured out she could climb out of her crib. Hence we were forced to convert the crib to a toddler bed. This was not a transition I was looking forward to. And a month and a half later, it is a transition we are still struggling with. The new freedom is more than Becca can handle. She just cannot lay in bed and sleep when there are so many books and toys that she now has access to. Our nights have gotten quite late as she is often up til 10p or later playing in her room. And when she does fall asleep it is usually on the floor, not in the bed. It is definitely a work in progress.

It is basketball season for the boys. Corbin is playing on 1-2 grade team, making him one of the oldest & tallest kids on the team. Corbin's team is doing quite well and he is really enjoying basketball. Trent's team on the other hand is a wonderful joyous mess. If you haven't watched 5 year olds play basektball, let me summarize it for you: It looks nothing like basketball! Instead you see giddy little boys running in circles laughing and jumping around. When one of them gets the ball, they tuck it under their arm and run with it football style, and then they throw the ball towards the hoop often missing hoop all together.. It is amusing and painful to watch. Trent is having a blast though and that makes me smile.
Coming up soon on President's Day weekend, Corbin will be flying solo to Sacramento to visit Cara and Matt. Corbin is counting the days until he goes. I am quite jealous of him, but also very excited for him. I am sure there will be a future post after his visit.
In January, Trent and Becca's preschool sang for the congregation at St. Andrews. Here is the video. Becca is in the lower left corner (about third kid over) with her BFF from her class. Trent is some where in the right middle and is partially hidden by other students. Once you locate Trent, you will notice he spent most of the song watching the girl behind him. But on a few occassion he did join in and sing, and when he sings he sings loudly. You should be able to pick out his voice.
On a side note, Becca spent the next week after this singing "I've got pee like a river on my clothes" instead of I've got peace like a river in my soul. I guess the message of the song was lost on her.
Finally, I will sign off for the night with a picture of Miss Becca who is almost 2 1/2 already and is acting so very grown up. Her favorite word is NO, and she has figured out how to throw a massive temper tandrum. However, we are fortunate her grumpy moods do not last and she quickly bounces back to the spirited, spunky smiling Becca Rose we love.

No comments: