I have heard many urban legends of motherhood claiming children potty trained before the age of 2, or of kids that potty trained themselves, BUT it has never been my experience- not even close! With Corbin potty training was a major struggle and he wasn't completely potty trained until well past three. Trent was a little easier but still took him right up until 3. With both boys, I wrote off potty training as a mothering experience I would rather forget. In fact, I was quite dreading having to potty train once again. I was slightly reassured by everyone who swore that girls were easier to potty train. But still not looking forward to it. Thankfully, Becca had her own agenda regarding potty training.
Here is how it went down:
A few weeks back we were at a family gathering, Becca said she wanted to go potty. I thought she was just bored and wanted to something to do, so I asked my niece to help her. Much to my surprise, Becca went pee. The next day, same thing happened. The rest of the week, Becca kept asking to go potty and kept going pee. We started a sticker chart and let her put a sticker on her chart. But I was still dragging my feet, not willing to jump full hearted into potty training. After a few weeks of this semi potty training routine, we decided to jump in and switch her out of diapers and see how she did. Day 1- she ran around the house naked and had only 1 accident. Day 2 & 3- we put her in underwear, and she was able to stay complete dry (poop was a different story, but she had gone in the potty twice so I was happy). Day 4, we added clothes, still dry. Day 5, 6, 7, we ventured out of the house to see how she would do away from home. Again she was able to stay dry. Skip to today- it has been 8 days without diapers (except at night) and only 2 pee accidents. We are still working on getting poop in the toilet not the her underwear. It is 50/50 at this point, but I have full confidence she'll have that down soon. For the meantime, I am basking in the joy of being mostly on the other side of potty training. We are definitely in the home stretch and I couldn't be happier! And, so very proud of Becca. And I think you can see, she is pretty proud of herself as well.



No comments:
Post a Comment