Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Awesome Dinner!!

This is a must try recipe!! We loved it- it was CHEAP, EASY, FAST and SO GOOD! It is an imitation of the Old Speghetti Factory (OSF) dish Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter (which is our favorite OSF dish- in fact, the only thing Mark and I order when we go). It never occurred to me that I could actually make it myself- it seemed to exotic (It is a tradition Greek dish). To start with, I had never heard of Mizithra cheese.

A few months ago, I purchased the Pampered Chef rotary grater:
I bought the grater because we wanted to start using fresh parmesan, but when I ordered it, my pampered chef consultant and family friend, Dawn, told me I could use my new grater to make Browned Butter and Mizithra Cheese just like the OSF. BONUS!! I knew I had to try it.

Last night, I finally got around to making this dish. I was a little worried because I didn't have a recipe and was afraid I would mess it up. BUT it really was so simple.

Ingredients:
Butter
Mizithra Cheese (also spell Myzithra)
Speghetti Noodles (or any pasta of your choosing)

Make your pasta by following the directions on the label. While the pasta is cooking, grate your Mizithra cheese (approximately 1 cup grated?). When your pasta has 5 minutes left to cook, start browning your butter. Put 1-2 sticks of butter in a sauce pan and heat on Medium. When the butter starts to bubble, start to stir regularly. Cook the butter about 5-7 minutes total until it turns a nice golden brown color. Drain the pasta and put back into pan, poor browned butter over pasta. Dish the pasta onto each plate and sprinkled cheese on top and serve.
SO SIMPLE!

AND- everyone loved it!! Everyone had seconds. I served with steamed broccoli and french bread. Corbin said I could make this dish every night for dinner. (And Corbin is my picky eater)

AND- the whole meal cost $9 ($3.00 for half pound of Mizithra cheese, $1.50 for speghetti noodles, $2.50 for broccoli, $1.50 for french bread, and $.50 for butter). At the OSF, this dish cost $9.99, or $11.94 for a hefty serving. So, for less than the cost of one meal at the OSF, we fed the whole family. Mark and I decided we no longer needed to go the the OSF. I think my grater was a good investment!

AND- it took under 20 minutes to make!

AND- I didn't use all of the cheese (only about 2/3) or the pasta, so I still have enough to make a smaller batch for lunch for the boys and myself. Yummy!

I definitely recommend this recipe. If you try it, please let me know what you think. It is our family's new favorite!

2 comments:

Hoag said...

Yummy!! My mouth is watering!!

Anonymous said...

so I just made my own brown butter sauce (a la giadia de laurentiis) and I had to compare your recipe - so I scoured your old posts to find this. She puts a pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper in hers which gives it a little sweet n spicy kick. It was pretty good and like you said, super easy. Thought I'd share :)
Kara